Saturday, May 19, 2012

Crinone 8%

As I previously mentioned in my IUI post I don't care too much for the Crinone 8% progesterone. I have used this first morning following my IUI  and continuing through my two week wait. Do not stop taking your progesterone therapy until your doctor says it is okay. A sudden drop in progesterone can lead to a miscarriage.

What does it look like?
 
How to use it
The Crinone 8% comes in single dose tubes. You insert it into your vagina and squeeze the end to push the cream out.  Repeat the whole process again tomorrow morning. I do insert it after my shower. My doctor told me to insert it anytime before 10 a.m..

Cost
For a box of 30 (which is about two IUI cycles worth for me) it costs $475 from Freedom Fertility Pharmacy. Our insurance luckily covers this so I just had to pay a $40 co-pay. There has been a couple of times that my clinic has given me samples. So make sure you ask if they have any!

Side Effects (listed on their website)
Breast enlargement; breast pain; changes in sex drive; constipation; cramps; depression; diarrhea; difficult or painful sexual intercourse; drowsiness; fatigue; fluid retention/bloating; headache; increased appetite; joint pain; nausea; nervousness; pain around vaginal area; sleep disorder;  frequent urination at night; vomiting.

My own experience
I personally have noticed breast enlargement; breast pain; cramps; depression; drowsiness; fatigue; fluid retention/bloating; nausea;and frequent urination at night. It is important to note that this side effects could have been caused by any of the meds I may have taken during my IUI cycle. And they all can cause similar side effects. I don't like how it's messy on my underwear. And it tends to clump up and hang out against my cervix. That's the worst pretty. I never feel fully clean. (TMI!)

I have not taken any other forms of progesterone therapy at this point.  For IVF I will be using the Progesterone in Oil shots. Which I hear are a blast too!

**************************************
What has been your experience with Crinone? Like it? Dislike it? I would love to hear!

1 comment:

  1. I love reviews of fertility drugs! Never used Crinone, but I've heard it's awful as far as discharge building up! I've actually heard some women have their REs go in and "clean out" the excess 1-2 times a week. That to me is scarier than PIO shots! I've used Endometrin and Prometrium and prefer the Prometrium... Good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete